Thursday, August 1, 2013

Grooming The 6 A's

Responding to a S.O.S posting on Facebook, we went over to Uncle Khoe's K9 Shelter  today and did grooming for the 6 Shih Tzus which were rescued on Monday.

Click to see the actual Facebook post
You can read about the story of the 6 doggies at the link above. To summarize it all, they were conceived in an "accident", owners were ill equipped with knowledge or didn't bother to even try to take care of them and finally the owners got complaints from their neighbors and had to give them up before AVA comes "hot on their heels". O M G ain't that classic. Just by looking at the heart wrenching pictures of the doggies you could have imagined how bad their lives were. 


Kennel 1
Kennel 2

They are now housed in window kennels at Ericsson pet farm. This two pictures were taken on the day of the rescue. Still filthy and untidy, only one of them was bathed. The rest of them had to wait for the grooming to happen before the bathing as the mats( hair tangles ) were too terrible. Bathing a dog with mats only worsens the state of the tangle, and may even be harder to take them out during grooming.


It was already Day 3 at the shelter when we managed to go over. Hilda and Irene were there to greet us. Greetings exchanged and no time was wasted. I set up shop to start the grooming. 
The first boy, Astro, arrives... Thought I've seen it all. Not so now. Smell was pungent, and the worst was I couldn't make out where the eyes were. Turned out that they were behind this thick layer of eye goo with hair. 

An hour later, Astro saw the world clearly for the first time. Too bad the first thing he saw was my ugly face. Hah. Nothing like a walk in the sun after bathing. I thought I saw a smile on his face from the picture above.

Then came the next boy, Austin. For a moment I thought that the Flintstones were in the house.

WHAT IS THAT?! He really looked like a caveman. Or cave dog. Never mind, I'll fix that bad hairdo for you buddy. An hour elapsed and he came out nice and clean. Looked way handsome now.

If I featured all of them this blog post will have spanned 2 pages. I would just show you guys the ones that really swept me off my feet, with their bad hairdo.


This boy here was the last one I tidied up. He had the worst mats I've seen thus far, in my time as a groomer. Picture a reggae hairstyle on a dog's face. That's what you will see.


This boy here didn't like grooming at all. And he's the strongest of the siblings. Struggled like a fish out of water. He was also especially terrified of the buzzing sound from the shaver. It took three of us to pin him down and a whole lot of coaxing to finally remove that bad hairdo. 
An hour later, a runway success is born. Looking all cool, macho and hairless. Managed to keep a bit of manly hair on his face, minus the bad reggae mats. 

After a good five hours of hard work, a happy ending for the 6 A's, for now. Look at the before and after photos.




Average time taken was 1 hour per dog. They were unfamiliar to grooming and thus very hard to control. Luckily I had Irene and Hilda taking turns to hold them in place to speed things up. They also did the bathing for the doggies. Kudos to the two of them. I believe not everyone would be brave enough to touch them. A pity that my hands were too busy to take photos of the two heroines of the day. 

Due to the time constraints I could only give each of them a rough shave down to ease their discomforts. I would be going again this Friday to do a final touch up for them. 

Personally, today was a wonderful experience as I had always wanted to participate in social work for animals. Thank you Uncle Khoe's K9 Shelter for this opportunity to use the skills I've learnt for a good cause. Meanwhile, the Team at PawMart would be praying for the 6 A's , Amos, Archie, Austin, Astro, Ariel and Abby, that they will finally have a real happy ending. 

That is to have a place for each of them to call "Home".

Signing off,
Travis
www.pawmart.com.sg

To know more about Uncle Khoe's K9 Shelter, please visit https://www.facebook.com/johnny.khoe.5
and their blog at http://www.unclekhoe.blogspot.sg/

1 comment:

  1. Good news on the 6 A's... I was there yesterday to finish up grooming for them and I'm glad to announce that one of them has been adopted by a kind family!

    ReplyDelete